This blog post will help you to make more sense of the information that is displayed on our library catalogue.
When searching for resources on our library catalogue iFind Discover, you will see that the items available to you will have different loan statuses and will be stored in different locations.
- Normal loan= the loan period for this item depends on whether you are an undergraduate or postgraduate; undergraduates can borrow normal loans for 2 weeks, postgraduates can have them for 12 weeks.
- One Week loan = as the name suggests items with this loan status can only be borrowed for a week (any item with a one week loan status will have a red spot on the spine)
- Short loan = items in high demand are put in the short loan collection, you will need to ask for these at the issue desk – their loan period can be 6 hours or overnight
- Overnight = as the name suggests items with this loan status can only be borrowed for 1 night (any item with an overnight loan status will have a blue spot on the spine)
- Library use only = these titles cannot be taken out of the library.
- Atlases = this is where we house our collection of atlases. The atlases are shelved on level 4 of the West Wing, on the gallery walkway (see our floor plans for more information).
- Folios = any publications that are 30cm or more in height are shelved in the folios section. The folios are located on level 2 of the West Wing (see our floor plans for more information).
- Large Folios = any publications that are 25cm or more in width are shelved in the large folios section. The large folios are located on level 2 of the West Wing (see our floor plans for more information).
- Locked Store/ Store = the library has many special collections which are kept in our locked store; to view any items kept in the locked store you will need to fill out a request form at the Issue Desk.
- Media Room = the media room is where we shelve our DVDs, Blu Rays, Videos, Cassettes, CDs & CD-ROMs. The Media Room is located on level 3 of the West Wing, just inside the Study Hall (see our floor plans for more information).
- Pamphlets = any publications that have 50 pages or less are shelved in our pamphlet collection. The pamphlets are located on level 2 of the West Wing (see our floor plans for more information).
- Study Hall Reference Collection = the study hall houses our main collection of dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks and other specialist materials. The Study Hall is located on level 3 of the West Wing (see our floor plans for more information).
- Theses = this is where we store our Swansea University theses collection; to view any of our theses you will need to ask the staff at the information desk.
- Wellbeing Collection = this collection is located in the Media Room, which is located on level 3 of the West Wing, just inside the Study Hall.
Off campus locations – not all of the items that you find on the library catalogue will be located at the Singleton Park Campus Library.
St. David’s Park = refers to Swansea University’s College of Human and Health Sciences library based at St David’s Park, Carmarthen.
Miners’ Library = refers to the South Wales Miners’ library located in the Hendrefoelan student village.
Banwen Library = refers to a branch of the South Wales Miners’ Library based in the Dulais Valley.
Library Store = older items are kept in our off campus store in Fforestfach; in order to access these items you will need to complete an on-line request form
If you are ensure of any of our library locations assistance can be found at the Information Desk or Issue Desk.